The 50 best breweries in New England right now. While it’s really all about the beer, additional considerations were given to distribution reach, influence, taproom vibe, and artwork.
- Tree House (Charlton, MA) Founded by Dean Rohan, Nate Lanier, and Damien Goudreau in Monson, MA in 2011.
Beers to Try: Julius, Haze, Green, Doppelganger, Double Shot, Sap, Alter Ego, King Julius.
- Hill Farmstead (Greensboro, VT) Founded by Shaun Hill in 2010.
Beers to Try: Edward, Susan, Society and Solitude, Double Nelson, Earl
- Bissell Brothers (Portland, ME) Founded by Noah and Peter Bissell in 2011.
Beers to Try: The Substance, Swish, Reciprocal, Here’s to Feeling Good All the Time
- Trillium (Boston & Canton MA) Founded by JC and Esther Tetreault in 2013.
Beers to Try: Congress Street, Fort Point, DDG Melcher Street, Vicinity, Mettle, PM Dawn, Scaled, Cutting Tiles
- Vitamin Sea Brewing (Weymouth, MA) Founded by Dino Funari in 2019.
Beers to Try: Due North, Kettle Charge, Greetings from Weymouth, Just Another T-Shirt Shop
- The Alchemist (Stowe, VT) Founded by John and Jen Kimmich in Waterbury Vermont in 2003.
Beers to Try: Heady Toppy, Focal Banger, Crusher, Luscious, Rapture
- Allagash (Portland, ME) Founded by Rob Todd in 1995.
Beers to Try: White, Curieux, Tripel, Black, Farm to Face, Saison
- Fiddlehead (Shelburne, VT) Founded by Matt Cohen is 2011.
Beers to Try: Fiddlehead IPA, Second Fiddle, Mastermind, Hodad, Overstable
- Jack’s Abbey (Framingham, MA) Founded in 2011 by Jack, Eric, and Sam Hendler.
Beers to Try: Hoponius Union, Smoke & Dagger, Kiwi Rising, House Lager, Mass Rising, Framinghammer
- Maine Beer Co (Freeport, ME) Founded by David and Dan Kleban in Portland in 2009.
Beers to Try: Lunch, Dinner, Woods and Water, Peeper, MO
- Definitive Brewing (Portland, ME) Founded by Dylan Webber in 2017.
Beers to Try: Definitive Ale, Behind the Light, Stuffed, Float
- Burlington Beer Co (Winooski, VT) Founded by Joe Lemnah in 2014.
Beers to Try: It’s Complicated Being a Wizard, Uncanny Valley, Orbital Elevator, Elaborate Metaphor
- Night Shift Brewing (Boston, MA) Founded by Rob Burns, Mike O’Mara and Michael Oxton in Everett in 2012.
Beers to Try: Whirlpool, Santilli, Awake, Fractalizer, Craigerator
- Lawson’s Finest Liquids (Waitstaff, VT) Founded by Sean and Karen Lawson in 2008.
Beers to Try: Sip of Sunshine, Double Sunshine, Super Session IPA, Fayston Maple Imperial Stout, Hopzilla
- Long Live Beerworks (Providence, RI) Founded by Armando Dedona in 2016.
Beers to Try: The All Seeing Eye, Through These Eyes, Attitude, Wesside, Hopeless Romantic
- Sam Adams (Boston, MA) Founded by Jim Koch and Rhonda Khalman in Cincinnati, OH in 1984. Officially known as Boston Beer Company, which also owns Dogfish Head, Truly, Twisted Tea, and Angry Orchard. Note: The majority of Sam Adams is in fact brewed outside of New England, but it felt weird leaving them off this list.
Beers to Try: Boston Lager, Octoberfest, Summer Ale, Winter Lager, ’76
- New England Brewing Co (Woodbridge, CT) Founded by Rob Leonard in 2002.
Beers to Try: G-Bot, Fuzzy Baby Ducks, Coriolis, Imperial Stout Trooper, Sea Hag
- New Park Brewing (West Hartford, CT) Founded by John Doyle, Alex Dee and Tom Atkins in 2017.
Beers to Try: Spectrum, Cloudscape, Blender: Raspberry, Double Cloud, Headband
- Foam Brewers (Burlington, VT) Founded by Todd Haire, Robert Grim, Dani Casey, Sam Keane, and Jon Farme in 2016.
Beers to Try: Built to Spill, Pavement, Experimental Jet Set, Galaxie 500
- Tilted Barn (Exeter, RI) Founded by Matt and Kara Richardson in 2014.
Beers to Try: The Chosen One, The Other One, Cactus, Violet, Milo’s Phoenix, Peeptoad Pale Ale
- Harpoon (Boston, MA & Windsor, VT) Founded by Russ Heissner, Dan Kenary, Rich Doyle, and George Ligeti in Boston in 1986.
Beer to Try: Harpoon IPA, UFO White, Winter Warmer, Camp Wannamango
- Fox Farm (Salem, CT) Founded by Zack Adams in 2017.
Beers to Try: Burst, Daylily, Allora, Vivid, Hearthbound, Double Burst, Graze, Dwell
- Magic Hat (Burlington, VT) Founded by Bob Johnson and Alan Newman in 1994. Acquired by North American Breweries (now FIFCO) in 2010.
Beers to Try: #9, Circus Boy, Blind Faith
- Lord Hobo (Woburn, MA) Founded by Daniel Lanigan in 2014.
Beers to Try: Boomsauce, Glorious, Hobo Life, Consolation Prize, Virtuoso, 617
- Mighty Squirrel (Waltham, MA) Founded by Naveen Pawar and Henry Manice in 2015.
Beers to Try: Cloud Candy, Cosmic Distortion, Strawberry Smoovy, Sour Face, Dear Kelly
- Foundation (Portland, ME) Founded by Joel & Christie Mahaffey and John & Tina Bonney in 2012.
Beers to Try: Epiphany, Venture, Cosmic Bloom, Galacticon, Afterglow
- Stellwagen (Marshfield, MA) Founded by Mike Snowdale in 2018.
Beers to Try: Invisible Airwaves, Shockwaves, 12:30 Flight, Cymbals
- Proclamation Ale Company (Warwick, RI) Founded by Dave Witham in West Kingston, RI in 2013.
Beers to Try: Tendril, Derivative, Sun Destroyer, The Stalk
- Exhibit ‘A’ (Framingham, MA) Founded by Matthew Steinberg in 2016.
Beers to Try: Cat’s Meow, Hair Raiser, Sunday Paper, Wandering Thoughts
- Long Trail (Bridgewater Corners, VT) Founded by Andy Pherson in 1989.
Beers to Try: Long Trail Ale, Limbo IPA, Green Blaze, Double Bag, Space Juice
- Austin Street (Portland, ME) Founded by Jake Austin and Will Fuller in 2013.
Beers to Try: Neverender, Patina Pale, Florens, Six Grain, Yann Bandana
- Lamplighter (Cambridge, MA) Founded by Cayla Marvil and AC Jones in 2015.
Beers to Try: Birds of a Feather, Rabbit Rabbit, Werewolves of Cambridge, Cuppa, Major Tom
- Lone Pine (Portland, ME) Founded by John Paul and Tom Madden in 2015.
Beers to Try: Oh-J, Tessellation, Portland Pale Ale, T-Shirt Cannon, Brightside
- Beer’d Brewing Company (Stonington, CT) Founded by Aaren Simoncini in 2015.
Beers to Try: Dogs & Boats, Hobbit Juice, Frank & Berry, 8 Days a Week, Dogs vs Shinobi
- Foley Brothers (Brandon, VT) Founded by Patrick and Daniel Foley in 2012.
Beer to Try: Prospect, Fair Maiden, Pieces of Eight
- Clown Shoes (Boston, MA) Founded by Gregg Berman in 2009. Acquired by Mass Bay Brewing Company (makers of Harpoon) in 2017.
Beers to Try: Space Cake, Galactica, Chocolate Sombereo, Blaecorn Unidragon
- Widowmaker (Braintree, MA) Founded by Ryan Lavery and Colin Foley in 2017.
Beers to Try: Ecstasy of Gold, Blue Comet, Martin and Lewis Milkshake, There’s No Wrong Way
- Stoneface (Newington, NH) Founded by Peter Beauregard in 2013.
Beers to Try: Stoneface IPA, Full Clip, Mozaccalypse, Hopulization, Pink Duct Tape
- Upper Pass (South Royalton, VT) Founded by Chris Perry and Andrew Puchalik in Tunbridge, VT in 2015.
Beers to Try: First Drop, Cloud Drop, Waimea Waves
- Smuttynose (Hampton, NH) Founded by Peter Egelston in 1994. Purchased by Runnymede Investments in 2018.
Beers to Try: Finestkind IPA, Old Brown Dog Ale, Robust Porter
- Good Fire (Portland, ME) Founded by David Redding in 2017.
Beers to Try: Prime, Waves, Hydro, Meta, CMYK
- Medusa (Hudson, MA) Founded by Keith Antul, Keith Sullivan, and Tom Sutter in 2015
Beers to Try: Laser Cat, Luminary, Hidden City, ACTIVATE!, Citra Legacy
- Two Roads (Stratford, CT) Founded by Phil Markowski, Brad Hittle, Peter Doering, and Clement Pellani in 2012.
Beers to Try: Road 2 Ruin, Lil Heaven Session IPA, Two Juicy, Espressway, Worker’s Comp
- Start Line Brewing (Hopkinton, MA) Founded by Ted Twinney in 2017.
Beers to Try: Hop Load Hazy, Hop Load Citra, Hazelnut Cold Brewed Coffee Stout, Craic Irish Red Ale
- Four Quarters (Winooski, VT) Founded by Brian Eckert in 2014.
Beers to Try: Phaze, Ghosts in the Sky, Little Umbrellas, Spectra
- Counterweight (Hamden, CT) Founded by Matt Westfall in 2016.
Beers to Try: Headyway IPA, Crucial Mass, Spiral Architect, Vulture Culture
- Shipyard (Portland, ME) Founded by Fred Forsley and Alan Pugsley in Kennebunk, ME in 1994. Also owns Sea Dog and Casco Bay.
Beers to Try: Pumpkinhead Ale, Monkey Fist, American Pale Ale
- Notch (Salem, MA) Founded by Chris Lohring in 2010.
Beers to Try: Left of the Dial, Session Pils, Raw Power
- Aeronaut (Somerville, MA) Founded by Ron Friedlander, Dan Rassi, and Ben Holmes in 2014.
Beers to Try: A Year With Dr. Nandu, Hop Hop & Away, Imperial Galaxyc Cirrocumulus
- Funky Bow (Lyman, ME) Founded by Paul and Abraham Lorain in 2014.
Beers to Try: So Folkin’ Hoppy IPA, Midnight Special, Jam Session, G-String
Honorable Mentions: Idle Hands, Wormtown, Henry and Fran, Garrison City Beerworks, Banded Brewing, Red Clover, Amherst Brew Co, Spyglass, Brick and Feather, Greater Good, House of Fermentology, Mast Landing, Barreled Souls, Vanished Valley, Remnant, Wachusett,, Springdale, Frost Beer Works, Canned Heat, Cambridge Brewing Company, Oxbow, OEC Brewing, Castle Island, Liquid Riot, Backlash, Great Rhythm, River Styx, Buttonwoods, Building 8, Fat Orange Cat, Dorchester Brewery, True North, Rising Tide, Brickyard Hollow, Geary, Bent Water