Written by Ben Pogany
- Alfred Hitchcock: Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window, North By Northwest, Strangers on a Train.
- Billy Wilder: Double Indemnity, Some Like It Hot, Sunset Blvd, The Apartment, The Lost Weekend.
- John Ford: The Searchers, The Grapes of Wrath, Stagecoach, How Green Was My Valley, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
- Charlie Chaplin: City Lights, The Gold Rush, The Great Dictator, Modern Times, The Immigrant.
- John Huston: The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Asphalt Jungle, The African Queen, Key Largo.
- Orson Welles: Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil, Othello, The Magnificent Ambersons, The Stranger.
- Frank Capra: Mr Smith Goes to Washington, It's a Wonderful Life, It Happened One Night, Mr Deeds Goes to Town, You Can't Take It With You.
- Elia Kazan: On the Waterfront, A Streetcar Named Desire, East of Eden, Gentleman's Agreement, America America.
- David Lean: Lawrence of Arabia, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Doctor Zhivago, A Passage to India, Great Expectations.
- Howard Hawks: Scarface, Bringing Up Baby, The Big Sleep, His Girl Friday, Red River.
- Victor Fleming: The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, Joan of Arc, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Reckless.
- Michael Curtiz: Casablanca, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Four Daughters, Angels With Dirty Faces, White Christmas.
- William Wyler: Ben-Hur, The Best Years of Our Lives, Mrs. Miniver, Roman Holiday, Funny Girl.
- Fred Zinnemann: High Noon, From Here to Eternity, A Man for All Seasons, Julia, Oklahoma!.
- D.W. Griffith: Birth Of A Nation, Intolerance.
- Joseph L. Mankiewicz: All About Eve, The Barefoot Contessa, A Letter to Three Wives, 5 Fingers, Sleuth.
- Robert Wise: The Sound of Music, West Side Story, The Day the Earth Stood Still, I Want to Live!, The Sand Pebbles.
- George Stevens: Shane, Giant, Diary of Anne Frank, A Place in the Sun, Swing Time.
- Sam Wood: The Pride of the Yankees, A Night at the Opera, Goodbye Mr Chips, For Whom the Bell Tolls, A Day at the Races.
- Stanley Kramer: Judgement at Nuremberg, Inherit the Wind, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, The Defiant Ones, Ship of Fools.
Honorable Mentions: George Cukor, John Frankenheimer, Cecil B. Demille, Erich Von Stroheim, Otto Preminger.
(List refers to directors who spent the majority of their careers working in America, which would otherwise include Igmar Bergman, Akira Kirosawa, Sergio Leone, and F.W. Murnau.)
*Best Director Academy Award winners are in italics.